Monday, January 7, 2013

ARC Review: Lara Adrian’s Edge of Dawn

Right before the holidays I received an ARC copy of Lara Adrian’s upcoming, coveted and next installment in her New York Times bestselling Midnight Breed Series, Edge of Dawn. *squeals with joy*  First, I have to say a big THANK YOU to Lara for sending me the ARC.  I can’t tell you how excited I was to read this book.  If you know nothing about me, know that I am a HUGE fan of anything Adrian, and all things breed.  Don’t believe me? Check out this feed of my blog posts.
In the previous installment, Darker After Midnight, the series almost felt like it was coming to an end.  If you missed this book, check out my review here. In this book, Sterling Chase and the rest of the order defeated Dragos and in doing so, exposed themselves as vampires to the world.  In Edge of Dawn, its twenty years later and humans and the vampires are struggling with co-existing.  I remember when I read the back cover of this book, I was more excited about the characters featured than the plot.  Adrian has such a talent for writing intriguing characters.  If you recall, Mira was the young breedmate and adopted daughter of Nikolai and Renata from Veil of Midnight.  She had these wicked eyes that reflected the future when a person glanced into them—like pools of visions. Pretty cool, huh?  That pesky little talent always caused trouble for Mira and twenty years hasn't changed that.  Now that she's older and wiser with deadly skills and stunning looks, her visions reveal the worst fate imaginable—the death of the love of her life, Kellan.

Without revealing too much, Edge of Dawn was the perfect extension to the series. Adrian immediately entranced me with the new world of breed and humans. Mira, a captain with the Order, is all grown up now (along with other kid characters), and she is bad a**!  But as an adult, she’s angry and still grieving over the loss of her childhood friend and love interest, Kellan.  Believed to be dead for eight years, Kellan has been in hiding, living among the rebel humans. These two were the perfect couple to segue the series into a new era.  Of course there’s a new enemy revealed too, one with ancient ties to both Breed and their mates. I won’t tell you what happens, minions. It wouldn’t be right. 

Edge of Dawn was a 4 for me—no surprise there, huh?  Edge of Dawn releases February 26, 2013 so pre-order your copy today.  If you haven't read the series, you really need to catch up since we're already at book 11. Coincidentally, book 1, Kiss of Midnight (ebook) is on sale on Kindle for 99 cents so download that one too while you can. 

Oh, I almost forgot.  Stay tuned in the coming week.  Along with the ARC, Lara also sent me some swag so it appears I'll be doing a special giveaway, which is perfect timing since I missed my blogoversary.  Wahoo!  

Who doesn't love free sh**?

Mina B.

6 comments:

Elise Fallson said...

Definitely a series I need to read this year. Thanks for posting the review, it sounds really good!

Anonymous said...

I like the sound of this book and the steamy cover is pretty cool too.

Nick Wilford said...

I skimmed the review because it sounded like spoilers at the start! It sounds good though. Don't know this author, so thanks for the introduction!

Misha Gerrick said...

Sounds like an interesting series. I'll be adding it to my TBR list. :-)

michelle said...

Sure love the cover pic! Ooh-la-la! *sizzling*

Cecilia Robert said...

Love the cover, :) Thanks for the review. I bought Lara Adrian's Kiss of Midnight, and I am really looking forward to starting this series. :)